Re: [Evolution-hackers] OO.o / evolution integration ...

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 15:50 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> So,
>
> On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 11:37 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > The names have been changed for HEAD of the evolution stack, in
> > preparation for API/ABI breakage.
>
> 	Expansion, or breakage ?

Breakage.

> >  The evolution-data-server package and libraries are not part of
> > the Development Platform, only the Desktop, and not being platform
> > libraries, there is no guarantee of ABI/API stability between
> > major revisions.
>
> 	I understand that; however - if you want other people to use them
> [ read. integrate with evolution ], it's worth not gratuitously breaking
> them [ ie. 1 minor revision later they are re-named breaking the ABI ].
> Ultimately, we use a rather small sub-set of the (already quite small)
> addressbook API.

Understood. I'm sure lots of other libraries have similar issues.
GStreamer comes to mind specifically. They started with only a few apps
using their API because they broke it every 5 minutes. Bonobo used to be
the same way when it first came around. I'm sure you remember that. :)

> > I'm not sure what the best solution is for OO, but it's not exactly
> > a sleigh ride for us either. You try maintaining feature-completeness
> > while getting testing for new features, on current platforms, while
> > breaking ABI/API. Snapshots are not fun. ;)
>
> 	If it's about snapshots; I can understand having a 'libdevel-ebook-1.0'
> or something that is parallel installable; but:
> the RPM I upgraded to through red-carpet wasn't (seemingly) parallel
> installable.

We can't make the snapshots parallel installable if we want all the
things we need tested, to get tested. We have to have the panel and gaim
and contact-lookup-applet and such work with the new version, so people
can test the integration bits, and make sure it works. Also, I don't
think you can have two separate copies of e-d-s running at the same
time.

-- dobey