[Evolution-hackers] OO.o / evolution integration ...
- From: Michael Meeks <michael ximian com>
- To: toshok ximian com, jpr ximian com
- Cc: evolution-hackers lists ximian com
- Subject: [Evolution-hackers] OO.o / evolution integration ...
- Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:29:41 +0000
It seems the e-d-s pkg-config file name has changed; to libebook-1.2,
along with the libraries being renamed - thus causing the OO.o /
evolution integration to stop building.
What is the thinking here ? is there any need to break the API and ABI
of this module drastically ? - I was under the impression that this was
not supposed to happen.
Ultimately - it's going to be _extremely_ hard to convince Sun to use
this / ship with it, if we are going to have to write an extra
compatibility layer per-different-version of e-d-s; and (of course) it
will involve yet more development effort we don't have time for.
Why was this change done ? is it going to happen again ? how
regularly ? and what is the recommended course for OO.o ? how can
this be made future compatible - dlopening libedata-server-%d.%d
starting with 1.8 and moving down ? [ and then grabbing symbols out etc.
as is done for many other unstable platform libraries ].
 - a product where a single binary has to be engineered to install on
multiple platforms - ( where the merits of long term ABI stability are
deeply appreciated ).
michael meeks novell com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot
] [Thread Prev