Re: [Evolution-hackers] creating new calendars, contact groups, and task groups

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 10:55 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 16:51, Anna M Dirks wrote:
> > Dialogs:
> >
> > 1. Add a New Calendar
> >
> > (Note that the icon for the URL testing button is obviously wrong -- I
> > picked what I had on hand.)
> >
> > The "location" option menu contains two possibilities, which
> > correspond to local and remote calendars: On This Computer, and On the
> > Web. If the "On This Computer" item were selected, then the "URL" and
> > "Refresh" widgets would be insensitive.

I would remove the color selector widget.  I'd classify this one as a
tweak type button, which clutters up the Add Dialog.  If you just choose
a new color automatically for the calendar and allow people to change
the color after the fact you'll speed up the Add Calendar action and
tighten up the dialog a little.

Perhaps a way to manually choose colors would be a popup menu off the
calendar list with some quick unused colors and a "More..." colors
option.  This way users can see the colors they already have for other
calendars and try to match up a hip new calendar color that looks better
alongside the other colors, instead of choosing this while they are
adding a new calendar.

Other than that it looks great to me.

> > 2. Add a New Contacts Group
> >
> > Notes:
> > All instances of  "address book" are being phased out of Evo as per an
> > earlier discussion. In lieu of this, "contact groups" refers to the
> > folder-like items which appear in the navigational pane when viewing
> > the contacts component. (So the context menu on that pane which reads
> > "New Addressbook" should read "New Contacts Group", etc )
> >
> > For adding Contact Groups, an approach similar to adding Calendars is
> > used -- the user must first decide whether she wants to add a local or
> > a remote (LDAP) group; then the widgets in the Add dialog
> > sensitize/desensitize as appropriate to her choice.
>
> Just a terminology worry, we have been referring to "On This Computer"
> et al as "groups", you had mentioned calling this "locations" now?

I like the locations better than the "type".  This applies to the above
as well.

The tabs need new names.  Perhaps using "Search" for the "Details" tab
since details is a little ambiguous.

I would remove the color option from here as well, similar argument to
above.

> Add a Local Contacts Group
> > (The second page of this notebook is used exclusively for LDAP
> > Settings, so I will not show it here.)
>
> I take it we will desensitize the entire page in this case?
>
> > Speaking of LDAP: The information associated with adding an ldap
> > server was split between two notebook pages: the first page is for
> > data that the user must provide in order to connect to the LDAP
> > server. Required fields are shown on this page. The second page
> > contains settings which allow the user to fine tune searching and
> > downloading behavior.
>
> Looks good to me.

Me too!

> > On this page, I've been trying out clearer terminology (than our
> > current mention of "sub", "search base" and other esoteric LDAP
> > ideas). Currently, I've replaced "Search base" with "Starting point"
> > -- such that the options in the scope option menu are "Starting point
> > only" (meaning search base = base); "Starting point and locations
> > within it" (search base = sub); "Only locations within starting point"
> > (search base = one). I don't quite think that these are the ideal
> > labels, but I am eager to make those labels a little more sensible.
> > Ideas?

This is kind of a touchy subject as LDAP details are usually given using
the technical terms, if you were to change them to friendlier terms it
might cause confusion.  Your mileage may vary.

> > 3. Add a New Tasks Group
> >
> > Very simple -- all we have to ask for is a name and a display color.
>
> Actually, thanks to some patches from William Mccann we now support web
> task lists, and they need the exact same info as the web calendars.  I
> think we can just reuse that here.

This looks good, I'd throw the same color argument here as well. :-)

> > Finding the dialogs:
> >
> > Accompanying these dialogs, a few changes should be made to the "New"
> > button (and the File->New) menu: the distinction between which items
> > in that list are used to create folders/groups and which are used to
> > create documents/contacts/tasks/appointments needs to be reinforced.
> >
> > Within the mailer, the structure of this submenu should be:
> >
> > Message
> > Mail Folder
> > ----------------
> > Appointment
> > Contact
> > Contact List
> > Meeting
> > Task
> > ----------------
> > Calendar
> > Contacts Group
> > Tasks Group
> >
> > This generalizes across components to:
> >
> > Document Created/Viewed in Component (Appointment, Contact, Task, etc)
> > Folder or Group (Calendar, Contacts Group, Tasks Group)
> > -------------------
> > Alphabetical listing of other document types
> > -------------------
> > Alphabetical listing of other group types
> >

> > Comments?

Looks fine to me.

> Getting a final comment on 49844 would be good for this as well.

Ugh, Christian makes a good point as usual.  However adding the word
"New" to every menu item decreases the readability in English.  It
prevents the eye from quickly scanning the item names as they all start
with the same 3 letters and a space.  If the translators wanted to
translate those items into "New ..." for each language where it makes
sense then I think that would be the best idea.  However for English
this would be a step back.  I'll attach this comment to the bug as well.

~ Bryan