Re: [Evolution-hackers] importers?

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 22:37, Not Zed wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 15:42 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 01:50, Not Zed wrote:
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I saw JP mention something about importers being a bitch, whats the
> > > status here?  irc keeps booting me and everyone's asleep anyway.
> >
> > They were a forgotten feature that I mentioned at the meeting on
> > Tuesday.  I resurrected importer stuff in the shell and also the
> > calendar/task importing, the addressbook importing lives again now with
> > some help from Chris and so the mailer ones are the only thing
> > remaining.
> >
> > > Is this another forgotten feature or something?  Should we re-do them as
> > > modules rather than having so much bonobo glue in the middle, or what?
> >
> > Probably keeping them the same for development speed's sake is best.
>
> Thats what we said last time too, and yet after several full days of
> effort to get them working again back then, we're back at square one all
> over again.

Well I have calendar and addressbook importers working again already.
The main issue is that shell doesn't know the folder tree and so can't
provide that info to the importer now.

> > The calendar, tasks and addressbook ones weren't too bad to resurrect.
> > I think the mail intelligent importers will be a bit annoying because
> > they use the other importers (which no longer take a uri from the shell)
> > and the old Mailer.idl.   The selection of the mail folder may also be
> > annoying because we might have to construct a tree view of non-vfolders
>
> vfolders?  why do they matter?

They don't.  We need to present the user with a control that allows them
to only pick a plausible mail folder to import to.  A solution not using
the current architecture would require the same.  Jeff did point me at
the folder selection widget that might be re-usable.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr ximian com>
Ximian, Inc.