Re: [Evolution-hackers] Sparse Mail Subjects

> > IIRC this was discussed some months ago, with a way better UI than just
> > blank subjects -- which basically does nothing.
> >
> > The proposed mail list UI was a dynamic multiline list, something like
> > this (granted, the ASCII art I remember did look better):
> >
> > [+] [Evolution-hackers] Mail VPaned vs. HPaned
> >  |  Hans Petter Jansson <hpj ximian com>
> >  |--[+] Not Zed <notzed ximian com>
> >  |   |
> >  |   +----  Hans Petter Jansson <hpj ximian com>
> >  +----  Not Zed <notzed ximian com>
>
> That's not a bad idea either, but I guess it would take more work to
> implement. I was trying for some low hanging fruit :)

Sure this will be harder to implement. ;)  This idea isn't originally by
me, it was jimmac IIRC, who came up with it.

> Take a look at my mockup and see if it's not at least more scannable
> than the current solution (full verbosity always).

I already saw that mockup before answering. But looking at it again it
leads to a few more comments:

* The mail list pane is much wider, than your original screenshot. This
  is necessary due to that very long [list-id] pre-pending every single
  subject. There already was a request to suppress displaying this id.

  Suppressing this string is a perfect new feature for per-folder
  options. (yay, I want this)

* The mail list pane can easily be much more narrow, if Subject and From
  are aligned as shown above. Leading to a more usable feature even on
  smaller displays (<1400 width).

* The gained space can be used for things like important column, etc.

The blank subjects already make grokking the structure more easy on a
glimpse, but it isn't the best solution, as it wastes a lot of space.

And we all know, the old MS like "tree view" made determining the exact
structure way more easy, than the current Mac like "triangles". It used
to be a piece of cake, to understand which mail any particular post
replied to... </whining>

> Of course, this would have to be an option.

Of course. Discussing options only here... ;)

...guenther