Re: [Evolution-hackers] Mail VPaned vs. HPaned
- From: Not Zed <notzed ximian com>
- To: Hans Petter Jansson <hpj ximian com>
- Cc: evolution-hackers lists ximian com
- Subject: Re: [Evolution-hackers] Mail VPaned vs. HPaned
- Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:36:21 +0800
On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 01:50 -0500, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
Ok, so I'd seriously like to see this feature in future evolution
releases; the ability to switch the mail component to use an HPaned to
split the mail list/preview space. It will make life better.
Here's a screenshot of how my evo looks now:
- There is more vertical space to view both the current mail and the
folder. I rarely have to scroll mails now.
- I had to chop off the date column to get it to fit. But it doesn't
really bother me, since when I'm interested in that piece of
information, I just want it for a single mail, and the mail headers
on the right provide that.
- Though this might not really be necessary, i took away the
"important" and "status" fields, because I seldom use them, and
the "important" flag can be toggled from the right-click menu. It also
makes the whole row go red, so no need for the icon, really. As for
the "status" icon, I am fortunate to remember which mails I've
replied to (and with mailing lists you get feedback anyway).
It really needs a different vertical list layout or widget. Even normally etable seems to add more space than it needs to.
By the way, this reminds me of another feature I'd like to see in the
mail view: Thread subject compression. This would make it not show the
subject for mails in a thread where the parent and the child have the
same subject string (an added "Re: " does not count as a modification).
It'd make the list a *lot* less busy and make it easier to differentiate
the threads at a glance.
i dont understand this last bit. how would it make any difference, and what are you going to show instead, a blank line? how would that make reading threads easier?
What do you think?
] [Thread Prev