Re: Re: Re: [Evolution-hackers] (webbased) remote client on evolution's data

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 01:43:36 +0200, Grand Apeiron <grand apeiron gmx net> wrote:
> So if i take your idea this would lead to a webinterface that uses
> applications of the Horde framework and calls methodic of the Evolution
> API. As i thought further about that, this could lead to an Evolution
> webinterface that supports every feature (like MS Exchange or IMAP
> Support) thats built into evolution.
> Surely this is a target outside the view of my first idea but i will
> keep that in mind when creating the webinterface (which should only fit
> my personal low needs in the first version ;)).

Right.. I was thinking about something like Outlook web access, that
would use e-d-s and therefore not require anything like Exchange,
Groupwise or any other collaboration software. I don't know how many
people would find this useful; in situations where people are using a
collaboration server, that server will almost certainly provide some
kind of web access anyway. But for people who just want a nice way to
get at their home e-mail and contacts on the road, this could be
useful.

> Regarding this, it would be interesting to know if there is any hacking
> going on regarding a webbased version of Evolution (e.g. something like
> MS Outlook Webaccess). I ask because such a webbased interface is
> mentioned in the Evolution Project Specification from Jan. 2000 i found
> in cvs/evolution/doc/Design.

I don't think there is, but I don't know for sure. Also, now that
OpenExchange will be open source, it may be worthwhile considering the
same idea using parts of that instead. It certainly has a prettier
interface than Horde, although it's mostly written in Java, I think,
which is a pain for most people to set up. Horde is php, and Apache +
mod_php isn't too bad, but Apache + all that Java stuff can get pretty
ugly pretty fast.

If you want some help with this, let me know; I'd be happy to do some coding.

Have fun,

Peter