Re: [Evolution-hackers] Mailer and new-ui-branch

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 13:16, Not Zed wrote:
> Well, its about as detailed as 'tightly integrate with spamassassin',
> isn't it?
>
> A plan, leads to a design, but there isn't much point going on if the
> idea is cut off from the start ...

No idea is cut off from the start, but you have to explain what you want.

The plan I posted to the list specified the basics of the UI behavior
and a general outline of the implementation.  On the other hand, all we
got from you is random bitching on how much the idea sucks and random
claims that "it has to be pluggable".

What does "pluggable" mean in your world?

My proposal is "pluggable" too; if we put the command-lines for "check
for spam" and "learn that this is (not) spam" in GConf then it can be
trivially made to work with any system.  On the other hand, I don't know
what *you* mean with "pluggable" because you haven't explained it at
all.

My main constraints are that it has to have roughly the UI I described,
work out of the box with the best anti-spam tool out there (which
appears to be Spamassassin right now), and not require months to
implement.

My main line of thought is: users couldn't care less what underlying
tool we are using; they just want their spam to be directed to their
Junk folder without fiddling with the settings.  Iff a newer, better
anti-spam system comes up after 2.0, we can change the code and make it
support that; it's not a big deal *at all*.

Let's focus on the user experience; that's what ultimately matters.

-- Ettore