Re: [Evolution-hackers] Status of mail-refactor-2 branch todo

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 16:38, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> Actually if I think about it, I believe my common pattern is actually to
> scroll all the way down and see the most recent messages in the folder
> first, no matter what.  I wonder if this is a common enough pattern that
> it would make sense to just scroll all the way to the most recent
> message whenever we open a folder?
>
> (I think that's actually what Thunderbird does.  Apple Mail even sorts
> mail in reverse time order by default, so the most recent messages are
> always on top and don't require any scrolling.)

I think the reverse time-order sorting is what Outlook does as well, by
default.  I don't like it (it makes reading a thread in chronological
order very difficult), but it's at least common.

> Alternatively, we could scroll to the oldest unread message as Mike
> said, but I am not sure that actually makes it better -- in my specific
> case at least I would still want to scroll to the bottom most of the
> time anyways.

IMAP/POP has the concept of "new" mail, in addition to "unread" -- I
wonder if this concept is widespread enough that the messagelist could
scroll down to the oldest "new" message?  That behavior would seem to
satisfy most mail-reading styles I've heard of.  ISTR that the old
netscape4 mailer did this.

Cheers!
--
Brett Johnson <brett hp com>