Re: [Evolution-hackers] spam filtering

Hello, guys.

Thanks very much for your research, Mark.

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 12:35, Mark Gordon wrote:

> Then again, the HIG says on popup-menus:
>
> "Popup menus need to be as simple as possible to maximize their
> efficiency. Do not place more than about ten items on a popup menu, and
> do not use submenus."
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/menus.html#menu-type-popup

While it is indisbutable that we need to (and will) reorganize the menus
for 2.0, I think that this particular point of the HIG may or may not be
entirely suitable to Evo's needs.

It would be really nice to know what logic informed the creators of the
HIG when they decided this; is this a working memory issue? a muscle
control issue? just a nice sounding number? I will inquire with Calum
and attempt to get more data from him so that we can understand the
spirit of this guideline. When we have this data, we'll be better able
to apply it to other UI problems in Evo!

At any rate, we won't release newly organized menus (including context
menus) without testing them on people first -- and we will submit to the
HIG people any guidelines changes that our research seems to warrant.
This is a case where we are lucky to have access to the usability
testing resources that they didn't necessarily have; the best thing we
can do given that we are in such a fortunate position is to share.

cheers,
Anna

--
Anna Marie Dirks <anna ximian com>