Re: [Evolution-hackers] Patch to enable send mail from calendar alarms

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 03:42, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 02:21, Ronald Kuetemeier wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> > sorry this is a rather large patch.  But most of it is busy work.
> > It enables sending mail from calendar alarms.  I used a rather ugly work
> > around to wait for the shell if it's not running to get a shell
> > component, it's necessary at least for my SMP machine. If you know a
> > better way let me know.
> > Any comments are welcome.
> >
> I dont understand very well the purpose of the getComposer method you
> added. If you look at calendar/gui/itip-utils.c, you'll see it activates
> the composer by using bonobo_activation_activate_from_id, there is no
> need to activate the shell and then get the composer.

Hi Rodrigo,
actually Not Zed described this design a few month/weeks (can't
remember) in an email.  To make a long story short, you have to get the
composer out of the address space from the shell otherwise the result is
undefined, works in 1.2.x kind of. But definitely  doesn't work under
1.4.X, I tried really hard but Not Zed was right in his email, iirc it
was to  a question from somebody from Sun who also was running into
problems on getting the composer working, seems he never implemented Not
Zed suggestions, so I did. In other words itip-utils works only because
you run it under the shell, but it's not a general solution.

> Also, I doubt this could be added to the 1.4.x series, since it is a new
> feature. So, I'd suggest you better work on adding this to HEAD, or,
> even better, to the new-ui-branch, which we'll merge to HEAD soon.

I thought somebody was already implementing a general solution for
getting interfaces from the shell(?) for 2.0, at least according to the
email from Not Zed mentioned above.
I see my implementation as a point solution for _my_ (and maybe for for
other people who need a working composer from outside evolution) problem
under 1.4 not as a general solution. Adding a method for every interface
one might need to get to extend evolution would really s...
Thanks for the response,
Ronald