[Evolution-hackers] Questions on development environment

I am new to linux and am interested in getting involved in the evolution project. I have a few questions about getting started. What is the preferred method of setting up a development environment for evolution? Do most of you use emacs, or is there something better? Any tips and tricks that will help to avoid problems and keep my environment simple would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Gary