Re: [Evolution-hackers] Questions on development environment

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 16:46, Gary Ekker wrote:
> I am new to linux and am interested in getting involved in the
> evolution project. I have a few questions about getting started. What
> is the preferred method of setting up a development environment for
> evolution? Do most of you use emacs, or is there something better? Any
> tips and tricks that will help to avoid problems and keep my
> environment simple would be appreciated.

As far as editors, I believe most of us use gnu emacs, the remainder of
us use some form of vi or another.

you'll want to install xd2 and the xd2 devel packages. (easier to just
use packages than it is to compile all the gnome libs manually). I only
build libsoup, gal, gtkhtml and evolution sources manually, but install
them into a separate prefix.

for example, I have /opt/evo14 for evolution 1.4 development and
/opt/evo2 for evolution 2.0 development.

attached to this message is my evo14.env shell script which I run before
starting development by doing:

. ~/evo14.env

I have a similar one for evolution 2.0 (just change the paths in the
script)

you'll also want to add the appropriate search paths to
/etc/bonobo-activation-server.xml (or whatever it is). I think there's a
way to do it without editing the file manually, but I forget off the top
of my head.

before you can start building and installing evoXX into /opt/evoXX,
you'll need to do the following:

mkdir -p /opt/evoXX/share/aclocal

if you don't do that, autoconf (or aclocal) will fail because it can't
find the directory.

hope that helps,

Jeff

--