Re: [Evolution-hackers] evolution 1.2 branch and UTF-8 strings

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 08:32, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while debugging the GPG signed message problem, I found another problem
> in camel : currently, it uses _() to translate its message and those
> strings are then used by mail-session.c to display modal dialog..
> Problem is _() will not always output an UTF-8 string, unless
> bind_textdomain_codeset is used (currently not the case in Evo 1.2.2)

hmmm, Evolution 1.2.x doesn't use UTF-8 for dialog label display, it
just uses the user's locale charset so _() macro's should be fine.

the only place evo uses UTF-8 is in the custom widgets (which the passwd
dialog doesn't use).

basically, all messages from camel (errors/prompts) are supposed to be
in the locale charset.

> I'm seeing this problem in camel/camel-gpg-context.c:742 when it asks
> passphrase, which in French is translated using latin1 characters,
> causing the dialog to be "scrambled"..

I think someone else reported something similar...(there's a bug in
bugzilla about it) perhaps it is only a problem when the locale is UTF-8
but the po files are in Latin1?

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast