Re: [Evolution-hackers] evolution 1.2 branch and UTF-8 strings

Le jeu 06/03/2003 à 16:56, Jeffrey Stedfast a écrit :
> On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 08:32, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > while debugging the GPG signed message problem, I found another problem
> > in camel : currently, it uses _() to translate its message and those
> > strings are then used by mail-session.c to display modal dialog..
> > Problem is _() will not always output an UTF-8 string, unless
> > bind_textdomain_codeset is used (currently not the case in Evo 1.2.2)
>
> hmmm, Evolution 1.2.x doesn't use UTF-8 for dialog label display, it
> just uses the user's locale charset so _() macro's should be fine.
>
> the only place evo uses UTF-8 is in the custom widgets (which the passwd
> dialog doesn't use).
>
> basically, all messages from camel (errors/prompts) are supposed to be
> in the locale charset.

Ok.. I think it should be added in the camel documentation :))

> > I'm seeing this problem in camel/camel-gpg-context.c:742 when it asks
> > passphrase, which in French is translated using latin1 characters,
> > causing the dialog to be "scrambled"..
>
> I think someone else reported something similar...(there's a bug in
> bugzilla about it) perhaps it is only a problem when the locale is UTF-8
> but the po files are in Latin1?

Well, I don't think this is the problem here :
french .po is latin1
locale used (french) is latin1 too..

But gal widgets are supposed to be using UTF-8 strings, IIRC, so a
conversion is missing somewhere..

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandrakesoft com>
MandrakeSoft