Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: Searching archives WAS picky libdb3 requirements

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 12:38, C.J. Collier wrote:
> Doesn't seem to me like the topic was resolved.
>
> a) the fact that db3 breaks data formats between minor releases sucks
> and it was suggested in the thread that it be replaced.
> b) I saw no argument as to why it should not be replaced, just that it
> should not be replaced with xml.
> c) Why is db3 being used, since it's known to have these issues?  libgda
> supprts db3 if you MUST have it.  It also supports LDAP, MySQL and XML.

you're not comprehending or something...

that message explains EXACTLY why we fixed the db3 version at 3.1.17.

making evolution use gnome-db would not solve ANYTHING. The point is
that db 3.1.17's file format will be the same on EVERY system. Using
gnome-db would not make the file format identical - all it would do is
add an abstraction layer (that we don't need) to make db queries without
having to know the underlying database (and/or format).

This, however, is NOT the problem.

What *we* want is identical file formats so that people can scp their
addressbook.db file from one system to another and have evolution Just
Work (tm). If Evolution just used the db version that came shipped with
the distro, the file formats between machines would differ and cause
problems when either:

1. upgrading their machine (oops, libdb got upgraded! so much for being
able to read my addressbook!)

2. copying an addressbook.db file between machines (oops! RedHat 8.0
doesn't use the same libd that Mandrake 9.1 uses!)

now do you see why using gnome-db would not solve the problem? do you
also now understand why the version was fixed at 3.1.17?

Now... in the future, this may change. We *may* decide to just use an
indexed vcard file or something. Who knows. In the meantime, you'll need
to grab db3-3.1.17 from sleepycat and built the static version of it.

If you don't plan on building evo very often, you could even toss the
db3-3.1.17 installed files after evo finishes building since evo links
against libdb statically.

Jeff