Re: [Fwd: [Evolution-hackers] Re: about evolution imap local email storage]

I think an easier way might be this:
 - change the imap cache code to use a CamelDataCache
 - let the user specify cache parameters, even if through environmental
variables to start with.

CamelDataCache already has some cache parameters based on access time,
rather than size or item counts, although those could also be added if
required and abstracted behind a common interface.  As could a purely
memory based small-item count cache, or a 'null' cache, without having
to have a separate codepath inside imap folder.

Some cache is pretty much required to make things work nicely (the way
messages are processed, bits could be requested multiple times), but if
the timeout and hash size is set fairly small, it wouldn't use much
space.

Most of it should be a plain drop-in for the existing code, so long as
nothing needs to iterate over the downloaded parts; and i don't think
anything needs to.