Re: [Evolution-hackers] My Evolution Project

> 4) When rendering the HTML messages, the CPU goes to 100%, and the
> keyboard becomes unresponsive for a good 3-4 seconds. I am assuming that
> the shared SDRAM video is a big culprit here, but then again, I can gimp
> away without drama on this box.

As larry said, you should upgrade for these.

> 5) There are some old messages from the mailing list (circa 2001)
> regarding spinlock problems with libbonobo causing CPU thrashing on
> different apps. Im no bonobo hacker, so cannot comment here. If it is a
> bonobo / corba problem, then I might be getting into a can of worms ? .
> Maybe the issue is with Gtk-Html widget ?? dunno.

Current bonobo doesn't use any threading or locks, so spin-locking isn't
an issue there.  There was some lock contention issues with certain
operations like selecting all and marking as read but that didn't affect
the normal browsing case (i think).

> ---------------------
> My Plan :
>
> - Hack evolution so that the priorities are :
> 1) Highlight the message in the summary list.
> 2) Listen to the keyboard, and obey (up / down / Ctrl-D / Ctrl-E)
> 3) Render all mail messages during idle cycles only.

FWIW ... we currently basically do this already.  Messages are
selected/rendered with a short timeout (idle is too fast even), but it's
so fast that you can't type that quickly.

You could also hide the message pane (using '~' key on a us keyboard?),
then just filter your spam based on the message-list, then turn the
message pane back on ('~' again) to read your mail.

> Result should be that I can quickly zip around the list of mail messages
> and cull out the crap without suffering 5 second pauses every time I
> touch the keyboard.

5 seconds seems very slow for a machine like that, so i dunno, upgrade
first.