Re: [Evolution-hackers] My Evolution Project [Spamassassin in Evolution]

s/older/newer/

Also, 1.4 has a filter action called "Pipe to Shell Command", so that
you can use spamassassin more easily, and it will allow the script to
alter the headers appropriately so that things can be filtered nicely.
Attached is a nice user_prefs to work with the auto-bayesian stuff in
spamassassin nicely, as well as to keep it from altering message bodies,
for when that time comes along that it somehow marks valid mail as spam.
Here are the instructions for using spamassassin in 1.4:

1) Create a filter rule called "Spam Spam Spam" or something
2) As the "Criterion" for the filter, add all of your "Source Accounts",
   and set the rule to "Any Matches".
3) As an action, choose "Pipe Message to Shell Command", and set the
   command to "/usr/bin/spamassassin -L", assuming that SpamAssassin is
   installed into /usr. The -L option only uses local rules, and speeds
   up the spam matching considerably. You may also use spamc/spamd, or
   other rules databases also, but I am not going to mention their use
   here, as I don't use them.
4) Move this rule to the top of the list.
5) Create a "Spam" folder somewhere.
6) Create a second rule, called "Is This Spam?" or similar.
7) As the "Criterion" for the filter, add "Specific Header" of
   "X-Spam-Flag" "is" "YES".
8) Add an "Action" of "Move to Folder", and choose the "Spam" folder
   that you just created.
9) Add an "Action" of "Stop Processing"
10) Put this rule second in the list, just after the previously added
    filter rule that calls spamassassin.

Attached is a user_prefs that keeps spamassassin from screwing up the
message bodies, as well as turns on the auto-bayesian support, and a
few other nifty things.

-- dobey

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 09:01, Larry Ewing wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 03:08, SteveOC wrote:
> >
> > For everything else, Evolution seems very responsive. As it stands, I
> > would be embarrassed to show it off to anyone contemplating making a
> > leap of faith away from MS-Outlook, but only because of this pause
> > issue.
> >
> > If it is has already been addressed, and I am way behind the times with
> > the RH8.0 base, then let me know.
> >

> The current stable version of evolution is 1.4.3 which is two full
> release cycles older than 1.0.8.  You are way behind the times and I
> suspect you will find that in all but a very few cases the speed issues
> with message display are gone.
>
> --Larry

# SpamAssassin user preferences file.  See 'man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf' for
# details of what can be tweaked.
#*
#* Note: this file is not read by SpamAssassin until copied into the user
#* directory. At runtime, if a user has no preferences in their home directory
#* already, it will be copied for them, allowing them to perform personalised
#* customisation.  If you want to make changes to the site-wide defaults,
#* create a file in /etc/spamassassin or /etc/mail/spamassassin instead.

# How many hits before a mail is considered spam.
required_hits	1.5

# Whitelist and blacklist addresses are now file-glob-style patterns, so
# "friend somewhere com", "* isp com", or "*.domain.net" will all work.
# whitelist_from	someone somewhere com

# Add your own customised scores for some tests below.  The default scores are
# read from the installed spamassassin rules files, but you can override them
# here.  To see the list of tests and their default scores, go to
# http://spamassassin.org/tests.html .
#
# score SYMBOLIC_TEST_NAME n.nn

use_terse_report 0