[Evolution-hackers] Evolution as part of groupware projects in ST Louis

Hello,
I have been actively attempting to get Evolution to play nice with groupware for the past few months. There are a few groups in St. Louis that have become interested in this subject and we are working towards an Open Source, Outlook Exchange replacment.

True to the nature of this subject the OGo (http://www.opengroupware.org/) project requires proprietary programs to connect an Open Source Mail client (Evo) with an Open Source mail Server. To credit, the site does mention that they are looking for alternatives.

We have been discussing ways to overcome this apparently HUGE delimma. No one has implemented such a project yet. So I have been trying to do it.

Here is a summary of what we have though about and done about the Calendar functionality related to Evolution:

1) Open WebDav/http standards are used by Mozilla calendar, Apple iCal to transport icalendar (.ics) files. Evolution could do the same. I started hacking Evo to add support for this. Unfortunately, I was only on 1.0.8 which was too old to be effective anyway. I got as far as adding the GUI components but had some trouble understanding the code for doing the actual work. May come back to this in the future.

2) Kolab (kolab.kde.org) is the German gov't funded groupware server.
This method stores all data in IMAP email. This makes centralized storing and sharing data very easy. But this is a new implementation requiring all clients to be changed to support said interface.

3) A program could be written (and we have some preliminary notes) that translates between Kolab and ical for CALENDARING. A set of programs would have to be given priveledged access to the IMAP data store in order to translate the IMAP data into icalendar files and vice versa. This would allow a hacked version of evo to support both ical/http(s) and Kolab. The programs would be responsible for hiding private data during translation.

4) On a related note, http://multisync.sf.net can syncronize evolution calendars with other multi-sync client programs. This unfortunately is not a seamless way to share data AND is a rather cumbersome way to share calendars between users. this project will be important for syncing with PDAs and other mobile devices.

5) Now Ogo is in the mix and I have yet to see how it stores data. That will affect the way it is fit into my overall plans. I suspect from reading some of the site that it may work much like my original plan for a mozilla calendar server which led to 3 above.

MOre Notes for these ideas are at
www.pcxperience.org/blog/

--
JT Moree