Re: [Evolution-hackers] inbox sorting

> I also have my folders in descending order. Say I have a folder with 10
> old messages, I suddenly notice that I have three new mails in this
> folder, so I click on that folder and end up on the last mail I was
> looking at. Would it not be better, more intuitively, to automatically
> show the first un-read message in this folder. This as the most probably
> reason for someone to click on that folder is to see the new mails.

No, please. There is a totally valid reason to actually get back to the
last seen message, when opening a mail folder a again.

I personally do this often on mailing lists: Read a mail, notice you
need info from another folder (like Sent ;), get that info, get *back*
to the mail folder right where you left off.

As a work around: As long as the focus is in the mail list tree, a
dauntless hit on <Pos1> or <End> will get you to the top or end of your
mails.

> As
> it is now one have to click on the folder, and then jump to next unread
> mail, or click on it after having scrolled.

If I got the OP right, he only speaks about the first time visit (after
starting Evolution) to automatically scroll to the *newest* mails,
whether they are at the top or the bottom.

> Not sure if I missed something here, but for a new-comer it seems more
> intuitive to jump to the first unread mail when clicking on a folder
> with new mail.

Only the first time, please. Don't let the user lose focus. Evolution
shall not decide, what's best for the user.

...guenther