Re: [Evolution-hackers] initial NNTP patch

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 16:16, Meilof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just to get some review before I hear the _whole_ patch is messed up, I
> proudly annouce this initial NNTP patch for Evolution:

Awesome!  Very nicely done.

> Also, couple of issues:

>       amount of time, largely due to the sorting I have implemented.

Yeah, but only once.  Further updates only require in incremental sort.

>  If
>       you want to subscribe to the z.z.z newsgroup, this means you have
>       to wait quite some time. I propose that if you click on the "z"
>       folder of the "z.z.z" newsgroup, it will get updated directly
>       rather than after all previous folders, so that if you know what
>       you want to find, you can subscribe/unsubscribe easily.

That'd be nice, but not strictly necessary, IMO.

>     * I think it would be kind of nice to have short folder names, like
>       "a.b.mp3" for alt.binaries.mp3.

Aack -- Am I the only one that finds this mozilla-esque behavior
horribly annoying?  Esp. since mozilla won't let me turn the blasted
thing off.  If you think it's a nice thing, *please* make it optional.

>  I did implement this functionality
>       in the NNTP store (a configuration setting of the newsgroup), but
>       this is obviously something that should be handled by the mailer
>       rather than the NNTP backend.

I dunno -- I'd *really* hate to see this behavior start creeping its way
into the mail folder view (making the the nntp group list unreadable is
bad enough, but doing it to mail folders would be maddening :oP)  IMO,
if you feel you simply must implement this behavior, I think you already
put it in the right place (i.e. the nntp store).

Cheers!
--
Brett Johnson <brett hp com>
   -  i  n  v  e  n  t  -