[evince] can't open Québec Pension Plan documents

Dear Madam or Sir,

I recently got my Québec Pension Plan PDF documents from their secure My Account WEB site.

Evince, both versions 3.18.2 (32 bit) and 3.36.10 (64 bit) open the documents. Neither displayed any of the data! On the other hand none of the following had any trouble.

  • Adobe Read 9 (32 bit),
  • flpsed 0.7.3 (32 bit),
  • MuPDF (32 bit), and
  • Libre Office Draw 5.1.6.2 (32 bit).

That being said when I added a password to one of the documents, so I could send it by eMail;

  • Evince, as usual,
    • asked for the password,
    • accepted the pasting of the password and
    • then opened the document without any of the data,
  • Adobe Read 9
    • insisted that I type in the the password
    • but wouldn't accept it because it has punctuation in it.

As Adobe has not supported Linux since 2010 and Evince has become the flagship PDF reader for Linux, I think it behoves the Evince developers to keep up with and implement the features of the most recent version of Adobe Read. If this does not happen Linux users will be forced either to go back to Windows or Mac so as not to be relegated to the backwaters of the computing world.