[evince] Suggestions for evince's "back button"

Dear Evince developers,

Thank you for creating/maintaining some great software!

I would like to make a few suggestions.
Now that pfd files with hyperlinks are common (e.g. journal
articles produced using LaTeX) it is very useful to have a
"back button" to return to the position in the article before
following the hyperlink (e.g. to view a reference). The evince
back button does not do this automatically: by default it gives
you a list of pages to go to. Almost all the time the reader will
want to go back to the first entry in the list, from where they last were.
So this is an annoying extra step. We want to encourage the use
of hyperlinks: it make reading articles more efficient. Just clicking
the "back button" to go back seems desirable.

Presently, the "back button" is not a default -- you have to know to select it.
I suggest considering making it a default button; I would also add the
"rotate left" and "rotate right" buttons as defaults. These are perhaps the
most common actions and there is lots of extra room on the toolbar.

The symbol for the "back button" of an arrow (I have seen left and arrows)
is inappropriate as the movement in the document can be forwards or
backwards depending on the hyperlink. Perhaps a capital B symbol, for Back,
is better.

When I hover over my back button, I do not get a popup explanatory message
as I do with other toolbar buttons. Also the Toolbar Editor on my Redhat Enterprise
version of linux does  not always work: selecting a symbol does not always
place it on the toolbar.

I think some of these suggested changes would make evince even better.
Many people, like me, use it daily. We would be grateful it were a tad more polished.

Keep up the excellent work.

Best wishes to all,
Stephen Glasby
http://school.maths.uwa.edu.au/~glasby/