[evince] How do I script Evince for rendering assessment?

Hi,

I need to check the renderings of various viewers for various output
systematically.

So I call the viewer in a script with a specific magnification, use xwd
to dump its window contents and then process the dumps at various
magnifications.

Evince appears to be quite useless for that, and going through the issue
reports makes it look as though its creators are proud of this "we know
better than you what you want" attitude.

There are no command line options for getting there, and even using
something like

gsettings set org.gnome.Evince.Default zoom 1.75

works only the first time since afterwards Evince insists on
"remembering" what's best for the test document.

What kind of setup do you recommend for repeatable testing of previewer
rendering?  It's not really an option to do everything manually, that
would severely impact reproducability and would make the whole process
unfeasably time- and work-intensive.

--
David Kastrup