Re: [evince] new feature request: FIX PASSWORD Protected PDFs

On 17th June 2012, it was mentioned

I've never seen this problem before, could you provide one of those
PDF files where the problem can be reproduced?

This bug seems to have been around for years.

Please find attached a file which is an example.

It is a PDF file and it contains purely the text

	This is an example

It was created with 'groff' and the Postscript fed into ps2pdfwr as in ...

	(echo .S 12 14 ; echo This is an example) |\
	groff -mm -fT -t -e -U $* |\
	ps2pdfwr -sPAPERSIZE=a4 \
		-sOwnerPassword=PleaseFix\
		-dEncryptionR=2 -dPermissions=-60 - - > a.pdf

The result PDF is protected from modification or copying. It is really nothing special.

Adobe Acrobat can open it perfectly for reading and printing. It correctly does not ask for a password.

Evince demands a password. And even the password which is specified above does not work. The problem is not limited to evince. It also happens with okular but 'evince' is my PDF reader of choice. Maybe the underlying issue is poppler.

I tried to build 'evince' to look at things but hit a missing

	glib-compile-schemas

so I gave up with that approach.

Thanks - Damian

Views and opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer