Re: [evince] Curious as to why doesnt Evince have the modern day basics?

On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 10:44 -0800, Ruu U wrote:
> The modern day basics I mean simple things that make life easier such
> as highlighting/annotations or even tabbed viewing?
> The Okular PDF developed by KDE seriously outshines the Gnome based
> Evince. I googled Evince sucks and there are quite a bit of hits.
> Mainly lamenting the lack of those particular features and having to
> pull in those dependencies of KDE?
> Is this ever to be integrated in the milestone?
> Thanks for the heads up.

Evince is implementing annotation using the PDF specification. Basically
it means you can add this annots inside a PDF document that you can
share with other users. Okular decided to implement annots using a
specific implementation, which means that it only works with Okular, but
it can't be used by non-Okular users. This is just a design decision.
Okular decided to give early access to annots this way and Evince
deferred the annots. Both alternatives have their pros and cons. This is
no way a criticism. Okular and Evince collaborate in the development of
poppler, the PDF rendering library.

In the lastest stable release it was introduced text annotations in
Evince, but it needs a specific poppler that wasn't included in mayor
distros. We hope to introduce new annotations types in the future.

Cheers,

  -- Juanjo Marin