Re: Evince .dvi problem on a network TeX Live install

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze wanadoo fr> wrote:

>> Evince looks for the 'mktexpk' program in the Windows PATH to find
>> texmf.cnf. So, when you add the location of the TeX Live binaries to
>> your PATH it might work.
>
> Here we have:
>
> echo %path%
> c:\windows\system32;......;\\gte-srv\texlive\2009\bin\win32
>
>> Alternatively you can try to set the environment variable TEXMFCNF on
>> the Windows desktops to something like this:
>>
>> TEXMFCNF=L:\texlive\2009\texmf\web2c
>>
>> (that should be the folder where the texmf.cnf file is located, not
>> the file itself).
>
> and:
>
> echo %TEXMFCNF%
> \\gte-srv\texlive\2009\texmf\web2c
>
>> In my experience this can work,
>
> Unfortunately, that didn't the trick. We still have the following error:
>
> configuration file texmf.cnf not found in these directories:
> c:/Program Files/Evince/2.30.0/bin;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/2.30.0;
> c:/Program Files/Evince;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/2.30.0/bin/share/texmf-local/web2c;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/2.30.0/share/texmf-local/web2c;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/share/texmf-local/web2c;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/2.30.0/bin/texmf-local/web2c;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/2.30.0/texmf-local/web2c;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/texmf-local/web2c;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/2.30.0/bin/share/texmf/web2c;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/2.30.0/share/texmf/web2c;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/share/texmf/web2c;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/2.30.0/bin/texmf/web2c;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/2.30.0/texmf/web2c;
> c:/Program Files/Evince/texmf/web2c.

This is a new error right? Of did you have it before setting TEXMFCONF/PATH?
If it is new, that means you are actually getting furter: I think
Evince is reading the texmf.cnf file, but then, when it starts the
helper program mktex... that helper program gets confused.

>> but it depends pretty much on the settings in your texmf.cnf file.
>
> We didn't make any change in this file.

Well,  you should I think. That is the more difficult part and I do
not remember exactly anymore what is needed and do not have it around
anymore. I think you need to set the search paths to absolute paths,
by replacing the $SELFAUTOPARENT occurrences in
\\gte-srv\texlive\2009\texmf\web2c\texmf.cnf with an absolute path and
also get rid of the "~" refering to some user home dir.

>> It can be difficult to get that right with a setup like yours. Good
>> luck!
>
> Thanks! Nevertheless, any idea? :)

It really is a lot of trial and error, that is why I wished you "Good luck"!

Cheers,

Hib