Re: One window again

>From: Wouter Bolsterlee <wbolster gnome org>
>
>The "one window per document" paradigm is
>a design decision, and not likely to change. Handling many windows
>gracefully is a window manager issue, not an Evince issue.

We discussed that earlier. I wanted to stress that both
paradigms can live together. If user never uses "--target"
then it is "one window per document". (Also, I need both
paradigms!)

Changes to window manager are likely not to happen.
Software who offers multiple docs per window always does
it themselves.

I came up with a solution which does not change your usage
behaviour, but solves my (and perhaps others') problem.
There is no need to have a window-in-window system (a canvas
with multiple doc-windows), but just one doc visible at a time.

Next you suggest that then I should code it myself. Good.

Where you hold the pointer to the document? When user selects
the document from the menu, I will replace the pointer with the
selected document, and perform a render update.

The pointer should point to the structure which holds the view
and the doc, but not the render. So that only one doc is rendered
at a time. The current evince seems to start rendering all 40
pdf files at the same time, and thus it takes minutes before
I can start reading.

If that sounds like easy task to code, please consider writing it.
It saves time because I'm not expert coder. Also, Ubuntu which
I have is broken so that I cannot even compile Evince; I may
code, though.

Juhana