Suggestion for improving search speed?

Hi everyone,

I noticed that the search feature in evince is quite slow and is making use of only one core. I'd like to try my hand at contributing here. I was thinking along the lines of a parallel search feature, which works as follows: If you have N pages, and C number of cores, the search is split across cores in chunks of N/C pages. So on a dual core machine, you could get a speed up by splitting the search between the two cores with two chunks of size N/2 pages each?

I'm not familiar with evince' design, so I'd like some feedback on whether this is a good idea or not? Perhaps then I can start digging through the source (with some help from you all of course!).

--
Thanks and regards,
Lalith Suresh