Re: Problem opening file -- Ubuntu 9.04

Brett Alton wrote:
My girlfriend is a real estate agent who I recently switched to Ubuntu
9.04 (surprisingly on her request).

She has two websites that seem to be IE6+/Windows only, until I
noticed that the one website didn't work with Firefox or IE7 and
Vista...

I kept playing around with the website while in Ubuntu 9.04 and trying
to get evince to open it, but to no avail.

The only way I could get the website to render the PHP code to create
the on-the-fly PDF was to have Adobe Reader installed. I installed
'acroread' through the Ubuntu partner and it seemed to work.

However, I love evince and want to use evince so I'm wondering how I
can debug this situation.

I have a feeling that the header sent is 'application/pdf' while
'/usr/share/mime/application/pdf.xml' only reads:

"<alias type="application/x-pdf"/>
<alias type="image/pdf"/>"

I tried adding '<alias type="application/pdf"/>' to the list, but
don't know how to update the mime types database. I'll probably do a
reboot and see if that helps.
try run mime-update-database

-Ghee
Let me know what else I can do to debug/test!