Re: slow document search

В Птн, 19/09/2008 в 10:56 +0200, Chris Fanning пишет:
> Hi,
>
> We are using Evince at work. Administration staff often need to search
> though large PDF's and we're having problems.
> Say we want to search for the word 'flat'.
> When we enter the first letter 'f' Evince freezes the whole desktop
> while it starts looking for 'f'.
> It can take a long time for the desktop to resond again and then we
> enter the letter 'l'.
> The same thing happens again and then again for the letter 'a' and
> then again form the letter 't'.
>
> Is this just a local problem or does everybody suffer this?

Well, I'd say it's a systematic problem of the Linux kernel that doesn't
give enough priority to user processes and has no interface to adjust
this. But it's more high-level view

In low level, document search is resource-sensitive task. Even Acroread
do it slowly. Faster processing is our priority, but not something we
work on right now. I hope one day it will be better.