slow document search

Hi,

We are using Evince at work. Administration staff often need to search
though large PDF's and we're having problems.
Say we want to search for the word 'flat'.
When we enter the first letter 'f' Evince freezes the whole desktop
while it starts looking for 'f'.
It can take a long time for the desktop to resond again and then we
enter the letter 'l'.
The same thing happens again and then again for the letter 'a' and
then again form the letter 't'.

Is this just a local problem or does everybody suffer this?

Thanks.
Chris.