Side Pane resize problem

I use the side pane commonly for viewing the Index and navigating using the same while viewing pdf's. Once I resized the side pane (increased the width of the side pane) to a pretty much cover half of my screen. Now I am unable to resize it back and make it smaller. Whenever I open any pdf, the side pane remains of the same large size irrespective of whether I am using the left side pane for viewing index or thumbnails. In fact now I see three to four thumbnails of pages on a single line. Now I am stuck with a large side pane. I am able to resize it when no document is open but the previous size returns to life once I open any document. I use evince 0.80 on PCLinuxOS 2007 kernel v.2.6.22.15.tex2.