Re: Problems displaying Japanese characters: poppler-data and xpdf-japanese installed

2008/12/13 Roderich Schupp <roderich schupp googlemail com>
Works for me (even cut+paste) here on Debian sid for amd64 and the
following packages installed:

[...]

AFAIK xpdf-japanese shouldn't be needed for poppler-based rendering
if you have poppler-data installed.

Cheers, Roderich

Got it! Thank you! Your reply (due to the fonts listed) made me remember that I changed the fontconfig configuration on one of the machines to display Japanese text more pleasantly. That in turn made remember that I attempted to create a user configuration file on this machine (the one where the PDF didn't work) that prefers DejaVu for the sans, sans-serif and monospace aliases before any Japanese font because it has nicer latin characters. I must have made a mistake in that file, because the PDF just worked after moving it out of the way.

My apologies for taking up your time, this was a user error, pure and simple.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Hoek