Problems displaying Japanese characters: poppler-data and xpdf-japanese installed

Hello,

I have two computers both running Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10). I ran into a couple of PDF files containing Japanese text that didn't work on in Evince on either system, so I followed the advice [1] of installing poppler-data and (or?) xpdf-japanese. Now, Evince properly displays these documents on my older 32-bit system, but displays empty rectangles instead of Japanese on my 64-bit system. On the latter, these documents do work when using xpdf.

Evince doesn't output any warnings or errors when run from the command line.

I'm not sure what the problem could be. I might be missing some relevant package on the newer system, but I can't think of anything that Evince might need in addition to poppler-data and xpdf-japanese, especially since xpdf displays the document without a hitch. Could the different architecture be the cause? It doesn't appear to be an issue with fonts either, both systems have the same sets of Japanese fonts for as far as I can tell.

What can I do to figure out what is wrong? I would like to file a bug report if it is really a bug in Evince, or perhaps in libpoppler, but it could very well simply be a missing package (a mistake on my end). Can I make Evince tell me more about the problems it encounters?

To make sure it isn't a problem related to the architectures, if it isn't too much of a bother, could someone with a 64-bit Debian/Ubuntu installation give the following PDF a try in Evince?

One of the Japanese documents in question:
http://coe21.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp/papers/ws-type-2003/085-kamichi.pdf

Kind regards,

Jeroen Hoek

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+bug/48708