Re: WebApps functionality

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 4:25 pm, Jeremiah C. Foster <jeremiah foster puri sm> wrote:
On Wed, 2020-04-15 at 14:22 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
 Well you must have some appstream metadata, or the web app will not
 appear in GNOME Software. But Epiphany itself never looks at the
 appstream metadata. I would completely ignore that page of the spec
 because none of that metadata will be used  for anything.

At Purism we intend to use that Appstream metadata for a variety of
things, like determining if the app is suitable for a small screen,
etc.

Hm. You could use that at the GNOME Software level, sure. But at the Epiphany level, there's no way Epiphany could possibly look at appstream metadata, because Epiphany allows creating web apps for arbitrary websites. And, alas, arbitrary websites do not provide appstream metadata for us to download. :P

 Ideally, before putting more effort into web apps, which are semi-
 dead
 due to the lack of flatpak support, we would figure out how to make
 them work in flatpak.

This is an interesting idea but seems to imply that a web app is going
to need one of the flatpak'd runtimes which might be overkill for a web
app?

So there are two cases:

* Epiphany is installed as a system app. You can create and use web apps. * Epiphany is installed as a flatpak. You currently cannot create or use web apps.

flatpak would never be required for the first case.

In the second case, yes, the web apps would absolutely require flatpak, because you can't start Epiphany without flatpak. And Fedora and Red Hat and GNOME are all betting very big that the second case is the future. :) WebKit itself has to be part of the OS image, but Epiphany wouldn't use it. When you install Epiphany, you'd get a flatpak and it would use WebKit from the flatpak runtime. Probably that's already working in Silverblue. And in this case, we currently have no web apps.

Anyway, I think there's a lot of flexibility open for Purism to drive the future direction of Epiphany web apps to match your vision, depending on how much you want to contribute. The status quo is that they're a niche feature with serious usability warts. (E.g. the need to manually whitelist URLs in the web app preferences dialog to open them inside the web app, which seems impossible to avoid, is extremely confusing to users.)

Michael