Preferred build environment? Development branch?

What is the preferred build environment for epiphany? JHBuild or from source?

I run into a few issues with JHBuild. It's not stable and the build
breaks every few hours. Usually either epiphany or one of the
dependencies are being built is updated but fails to compile cleanly.
The other issue is JHBuild always builds from the master branch. This
causes problems when I want to build an older release branch or a
feature branch.

The alternative is to build Epiphany and WebKit from source
separately, but that leads to its own problems of updating system
libraries and resolving all the dependencies manually.

If we're fixing bugs with unspecified versions, should we always be
working off the master branch? Should all new features be implemented
off master branch?

Thanks,

-- William