Re: Preferred build environment? Development branch?

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 5:10 AM, William Ting <william h ting gmail com> wrote:
> What is the preferred build environment for epiphany? JHBuild or from source?

jhbuild builds from source, so I'd say there's no difference there.

> I run into a few issues with JHBuild. It's not stable and the build
> breaks every few hours. Usually either epiphany or one of the
> dependencies are being built is updated but fails to compile cleanly.
> The other issue is JHBuild always builds from the master branch. This
> causes problems when I want to build an older release branch or a
> feature branch.

What I do is just build the needed dependencies inside jhbuild instead
of updating the whole stack all the time. Something like:

jhbuild buildone glib glib-network libsoup gtk+ WebKit epiphany

If your system is reasonably up to date that should be enough to get a
working epiphany.

> If we're fixing bugs with unspecified versions, should we always be
> working off the master branch? Should all new features be implemented
> off master branch?

Yes, patches should always be sent against the master branch.

Regards,

Xan