Re: Shelling Epiphany

On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 19:51 +0100, Alexandre Mazari wrote:
> > And as person who have 5-50 tabs opened at the same time - won't it
> > clutter interface?
> >
> Apps could be tabbed (or whatever comes from the discution thread) too:
> all your Bugzilla opened pages would be grouped in one application for
> example.
> That would actually make switching to a specific bug: alt-tab (or
> overview) to your Bugzilla application, then find the corresponding tab,
> instead of looking in a crazy long tabs' notebook in the browser (not
> mentioning the searched tab might not be visible at first).

Usally I organize them in some way. Even if they are 50 tabs they
usually spread over several windows - say one workspace with java SDK
dock for some taks, on gtk docs for another. The bugzilla bugs may be
spread over several desktops as well (on one I provide info for bug I
found marked NEEDINFO and on second I fix one that occurs in package I
maintain).

> > It may be substitute to workspaces+windows though but still there is a
> > difference:
> >
> >  - Workspaces usually have up to 3 windows of the same application at
> > which point it IMHO breaks under the complexity of managing (ideally 3
> > windows at all) with no particular order
> > - Tabs usually have >5 tabs usually organised by some means. For
> > example it have blog post #1, response to blog post #1, response to
> > response to blog post #1... Also they may be much more short lived.
>
> Yup, but if you think in term of apps, instead of website, you can
> spread them on different topic-orented workspaces, for example:
> - GMail and Twitter *applications* in your communication one, neighbours
> to Empathy
> - LiveJournal and/or b.g.o applications in a "Blogging" workspace
> - Google Docs and LibreOffice on office
> - you get the idea
>
> Again, each of those apps can be tabbed (or windows grouped or whatever)

Well - what I meant is that all they are on different website - for
example one is twitter post which was commented on identica but 3rd
person replied on LiveJournal which was replited on Wordpress. It means
that there are 4 websites involved but only 1 task.

On the other hand the blog post about say algorithm I want to implement
and the blog post about lolcats meme would go on separate workspaces
even if they are on the same blog.

I think that (which I states several times) thinking in terms of
apps/websites is an error and instead we should come back to
documents/tasks. I use the same application over several desktops and
'normal users' don't even know what application is.

Regards