Re: Commandline tool html2pdf

mbrace7 aim com wrote:
> I would go about this in a different way. If you are making a pdf file from the page contents there are several choices to do this.

>1. You could actually copy and paste into Open Office and export the file to PDF.

Not really an option.  I have a server here that spits out generated
HTML invoices, on average one per second, they need to be converted into
PDF at the same pace, and it needs to work for batches of roughly 8000
invoices at a time.

>2. A lot depends on the content of the Html file its length for doing the following: To screen shot at full screen and the then use another screen capture programme to cut down the size of the saved file preferably as a jpg and then to copy it into Open Office. Either way a bit messy. PDFediit is quite good indeed and using Wine any of the others such as Nitro PDF and Snagit as a capture programme. An actual way of playing around with pictures is to use a Windows Programme like Paint Shop Pro in Wine.
>Moshe

The content sometimes exceeds one page.  In that case it contains a table
which needs to be split across several pages, but, it needs to repeat the
table headings at the top of each continuation page.

- html2ps:
   Actually does all this, but doesn't support a lot of CSS.
- xhtml2pdf:
   Seems to be just as hackish as html2ps, but lacks some of the
   more refined features.
- htmldoc:
   Appears to be less hackish than html2ps but doesn't repeat the
   headers on the continuation pages.
- epiphany:
   Actually generates the perfect PS/PDF, but I need to manually
   start the program, push the print button, and navigate through the print
   menus.  Try doing that once per second, 8000 times in a row.
- gnome-web-photo:
   Generates a PS/PDF, but this one appears to be graphical.  I.e. the
   downsides are:
   + The PDF is not text-searchable, nor can be used for text-copy-paste.
   + The PDF is a lot larger (mailing 8000 60KiB or 600KiB PDFs makes a large
     difference).
   + Links in the PDF are non-clickable (but this I consider to be a rather
     minor issue).
--
Sincerely,
           Stephen R. van den Berg.