Re: Backends - was: ANNOUNCEMENT: The Future of Epiphany

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 16:32 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-04-01, 18:47 GMT, Robert Marcano wrote:
> > Why I think Gecko is still important on Epiphany, because the
> > enterprise sector.
>
> As a former KDE (and thus konqueror) user I can just comment that
> situation of support for KHTML/WebKit drastically improved with
> the introduction of Safari. Mac is apparenlty so popular that
> most mainline webservers didn't dare not to test against it. Of
> course, it is not perfect (especially it wasn't perfect with
> regards to AJAX and rich Javascript based sites -- think GMail;
> and it has been two years ago since I switched to Gnome), and
> I had to have firefox installed for few sites which didn't get
> the memo, but I haven't used it for most of the days. Then
> I moved to Gnome and I have to have still installed two browsers,
> although one I wouldn't have to theoretically use at all ;-).
>
> Matej

KHTML/WebKit is a nice piece of work, that can not be negated, but we
live in a real world, where we face the existence of expensive intranet
applications being tested and with support for a few browsers, to reach
the level of support Gecko has now we waited years from our providers,
that will take years for WebKit based browsers. I believe in choice, and
choice by the user not only the developer, choice to select your own
spam filter tools in Evolution, choice in selecting your own file search
tool in Nautilus, choice to select your own Java runtime in openoffice
(icedtea, IBM, Sun, etc..). I believe that the user must have a choice
in selecting what rendering engine she or he wants