Fwd: Proposal for a reorganisation in Epiphany default UI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: thibaut bethune <thibaut bethune gmail com>
Date: 19 nov. 2007 14:54
Subject: Proposal for a reorganisation in Epiphany default UI
To: epiphany-list gnome org

Since september 2006, i tried to think over an interface that could be
intuitive for beginners (my father is getting a PC for the 1st time)

I've chosen Epiphany for its smart bookmark incredible function.

Here is my proposal for Epiphany :

http://hiboox.com/lang-fr/resultat.php?img=v69l9g3i.png

A) At the center of the toolbar there is back button, next button and
location bar since i think they are the most important of the UI

B)

1°) near the location bar are the go button and bookmark button since
both of them are related to the content of location bar (that's why
location bar, go button and bookmark button sit between seperators)

2°) At the left side of the location bar, you have back button and
next button as said before, but no stop button or reload button :
- stop button seems useless considering you have to reach it very fast
with modern connections. Instead of the stop button, the back button
seems more appropriate to fix errors that the user could make.
- reload button seems useless considering that you got the same result
with the go button.

3°) Close to the back button, the history button which is a kind of
super back button. And close to the history button is the bookmark
database button which works a bit like the history button.

4°) On the other side of the toolbar are zoom in and zoom out buttons
: quite usefull for beginners. You can also place the find button
there.

C°) The bookmark bar should be activated with a bookmark on it (for
discoverabilty purpose) : maybe the epiphany presentation page (
http://www.gnome.org/projects/epiphany/ ) could be that bookmark

PS : i find the actual location bar intimidated (too big i guess, and
not enough connected to the toolbar since it takes place in a second
line) and sometimes not enough visible (location bar is too close of
the web page : both are white elements when the web page and the
location bar are empty which make the location bar hardly visible).

I use that configuration every day and i don't feel the need to have
stop or reload button. Besides, The Help navigator on my ubuntu system
doesn't have them either http://scorgie.org/UHC-Feisty.png