"Select a certificate to identify yourself"

Since updating to Epiphany 2.16.0, I've been bugged by a dialog that I
didn't see with 2.14, with the title as on the subject line. This is
related to my employer's internal sites, some of which in addition to
being SSL protected also require a client certificate as part of the
authentication. I only have one certificate imported, and it's the
same one which worked with 2.14, however now every time I access such
a site, I'm asked to select the certificate to present in the request
(and only have this one choice available to me). The request then
succeeds, but the dialog repeats on (almost) every request (save those
which manage to make use of keepalive http).

I've tried deleting the cert8.db and re-importing the certificate, but
this didn't change the behavior. What else is there to do?