Re: A couple of new tab related extensions

Hello Stefan,

On 6/23/06, Stefan Stuhr <gnomelists sstuhr dk> wrote:
I am not happy with the default tab implementation in Epiphany. For one
thing, I don't like to have a close button on every tab. I also don't
like that the tabs have a fixed width, and don't scale like in Firefox.

I am sure that there are good reasons, usability related and otherwise,
for having tabs working the way they do in Epiphany. It's just not the
way I want tabs to work in a web browser.

I couldn't agree more! The fixed and disappearing tabs are horrible, and a scary usability bug in my opinion, whose only apparent pro is that they are easier to close as opposed to find and select...

I was able to make som Python extensions to make the
tab implementation in Epiphany usable for me.

You can find the extensions here:
http://www.sstuhr.dk/epiphany-extensions/

Totally awesome. Super. Wow. Makes Epiphany possible to actually use for real, been so looking forward to something like this.

I'm not completely comfortable with only the close button though, especially as I find it a bit hard to place. Do you think that it would be possible to add closing tabs on middle click, like in Firefox, to your extension? (Maybe want to turn of that scrolling on the wheel too, dunno. I'm just annoyed by it).

All in all, just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate this, and hope this extension quickly makes it into main. Maybe with some simple preferences added, say close buttons or not, middle click closes and so on, it could probably be a lifesaver of many.

Oh, and Gedit suffers from the same bug, maybe a little plugin for that too...? ;-)

Many thanks,

-- Stoffe

Thanks for making Epiphany,
Stefan