Fwd: History/bookmarks preview (and some craziness)

Ooops.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Diego Escalante <diego aureal com pe>
Date: Dec 19, 2006 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: History/bookmarks preview (and some craziness)
To: Jamie McCracken <jamiemcc blueyonder co uk>

On 12/19/06, Jamie McCracken <jamiemcc blueyonder co uk> wrote:
Xan Lopez wrote:

>> I think we may have run off into the weeds a bit here. Surely it can't
>> be necessary to (a) make a dependency on a photo management tool, and
>> (b) require Tracker in Gnome, *just to get thumbnails of Web pages in
>> Epiphany*? 8-)
>>

> The idea is to copy the widgets from f-spot, not depend on f-spot. And
> all the data-server/tracker ideas would be only buy us some random
> amount of advantages, but are not needed at all to get this working.
> Do you have any opinion about the whole thing btw? :)

AFAIK, the widget in f-spot is in c# so we cant use it directly (in c code)

The image view is in C (libfspot), well at least as far as I checked.

It should be pretty simple to adapt the gnumeric chart widget to create
a similiar c based widget - I am sure it will be very handy to have this
for other apps too (like GThumb and maybe Nautilus). If I have time over
XMAS I might look into this.
Haven't seen that widget, can you point me to it?

As for the bookmarks/history, You dont need tracker to get it working
but it would be a lot less work as tracker is already an extensible
metadata server and first class object database. If it gets adopted by
Gnome then it would make sense for Epiphany to use it.

Yes, it's weed if we _depend on it_ as Matthew said. But as Xan said,
it's not needed at all.

Recently I saw a nice mockup about a bookmark managing interface that
is actually a "web site", like about:epiphany I mean.
That would be killer easy to do (you just have to do some for'ing
using existing code I guess), what do you think?.
Hard thing is still creating the thumbnails, but in this case they can
be put on ~/.thumbnails as everyone does.

:)