Force Quit button (was Re: Youtube killed Epiphany dead)

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Andrew Conkling wrote:

On 8/3/06, Beartooth <beartooth adelphia net> wrote:

Maybe I'd better skip the Al Gore parody ...

This is what happens when the government controls the internet. Sorry, had to bite. :P

Gummint, aka gdgummint, has morphed in recent decades from a standing joke to a bad joke, to a dirty joke. But I don't think Epiphany's flash troubles are due to it; I doubt it'd have the intelligence nor the decisiveness to do such things, much less control the Net, if it made up its bureaucratic mind that it wanted to. Note that I'm neither trusting gummint, advocating control by it, nor apologizing for it, but just doubting its ability.

Epiphany reminds me of the gray squirrels I hunt in Southern Appalachia. You can get a good clean hit, so that they fall out of the top of a tree like a sack of meat, landing with a loud thud -- and see them in a few minutes forget they're dead, and start to crawl off.

This analogy fails me completely, but I'd be interested to know what you mean by it. :)

Force Quit is a great new GUI; I don't always know how to use ps ax, but I can *see* what to click on. Not having seen it fail before, however, I took for granted that Epiphany was as dead as a squirrel that falls fifty feet without any attempt to brace himself -- and the assumptions, while eminently reasonable, both fail at times. "Forgetting he's dead" is my figure of speech for coming to, after having given every sign of extinction.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck Linux Enthusiast
A wanderstaff like an Elvish rope should be long,