Notebook's focused_pages is private?

Hello,
I'm working on a Python extension to mimic Firefox's LastTab's and
Opera's behavior of tab switching.  As such, I was looking for access
to the list of recently used tabs that Epiphany seems to use when
closing tabs.

I took a look through src/ephy-notebook.c (at chpe's suggestion,
thanks) and found notebook->priv->focused_pages.  If I understand the
code (I don't really know C) it looks as though this is what I'm
looking for, but that it's private, so I would be unable to refer to
it.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks,
Andrew Conkling