Re: Youtube killed Epiphany dead

On 8/3/06, Beartooth <beartooth adelphia net> wrote:
I was running Epiphany-2.14.2.1-1.fc5.1 behind privoxy-3.0.3-9.2.1
(unmodified, as installed) under Fedora Core 5. A friend sent me a URL,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8uefBUOfgA which I put into one of eight
or ten tabs and clicked on.

The video -- a clip of a rather hoky-looking blue-eyed penguin, supposedly
used by a German stand-up comedian named Dieter Nuhr, which turns toward
the camera and works its beak, supposedly uttering a certain vulgarism.

I don't normally do sound, anyway, but decided to try it this time. Never
got any. Tried to open the Preferences dialog : clicked on Edit, then on
Preferences; that word took the highlight -- and everything froze.

Youtube = Flash, which is always a bad time.  Plus, sound with Flash
takes a bit of extra setup perhaps.  Try the following:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats#head-f375cba46014e861cd5ec7643bd7c4ef05acff2b

Then, trying the next thing I could think of, as root, got me things way
beyond my comprehension :

[root localhost ~]# ps ax | grep epiphany
12248 ?        Ssl   21:02 epiphany --sm-config-prefix /epiphany-pXAGFV/
--sm-client-id 117f000001000115067871600000054740017 --screen 0 18381
pts/1    R+     0:00 grep epiphany
[root localhost ~]#

I suppose I need to know how and where to get into epiphany from the
command line and get rid of the youtube URL and its tab; do I also need
more? Anything to do to privoxy or Fedora itself??

I think it looks like epiphany is still running, though you Force Quit
it.  I'd say kill it.  'killall epiphany' should do the trick, or you
could end the process in the GNOME System Monitor.  Either way, you
should be able to get Epiphany to start after that by just telling it
not to recover tabs.

HTH,
Andrew