Re: UI for configuring plugin

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 02:39:28PM +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

>Hi Magnus,
>
>On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Magnus Therning wrote:
>
>>So, you're arguing for a separate menu item for configuring Epilicious, and
>>placing it in the Bookmarks menu. That will probably be what I do, since it's
>>a good idea, at least as good as it gets at the moment.
>>
>>For the long run I don't think it's the right thing.
>
>Then what would be "the right thing" to do, and why isn't it possible
>right now?

I personally think it'd be confusing to have configuration of extensions
separate from other configuration.

AFAICS there are 3 ways to do it:

 1. Add a tab on the preferences for configuring the extension.
 2. Move control of extensions to the preferences (I think that's a
    better place than a separate menu like it is at the moment anyway).
    Then configuration can be dealt with like in gedit.
 3. Add a menu item for configuring the extension. The placement is a
    question then. Should a bookmarks-related extension have its menu
    item in the Bookmarks menu, in the Edit menu (where Preferences
    is), or in the Extensions menu?

Which one is least surprising/confusing for users?

I think 1 and 2 are equally good (IANA UI person though). However,
the first isn't possible at the moment (code is missing) and 2 needs a
change to the UI for handling extensions. 3 is possible at the moment,
but no matter where the configuration item is placed it'll
surprise/confuse some users.

These are just my gut feelings though, and I'd be very happy if someone
would simply come in and say "This is how we handle it in Epiphany!".
:-)

>>>Not that I'm aware of. But try to be consistent with the HIG and the
>>>rest of the Epiphany UI and you'll be fine :-)
>>
>>I'll try my best :-)
>
>I just had an idea; maybe you don't even need to write an UI. One
>exists already: http://www.nongnu.org/gnomolicious/. Of course, since
>this is not an official GNOME applet, we can't depend on it, but it
>might be possible to make it so that Gnomolicious/Epilicious
>configuration is identical from the user's point of view. The prefs
>could be stored in the same place, so that it will Just Work.

Not a bad idea to share configuration placement (i.e. share the path in
GConf). However, sharing the UI will be difficult. Not only due to the
dependency it'd introduce but also because epilicoius will need more
configuration than gnomolicious (I'm about to merge a patch that makes
the Share topic configurable).

/M

magnus therning org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at
it.
     -- John Hopfield